Responsible for the assurance of reactor safety for the Naval Reactor Plant (NRP) which presents special challenges to the organisation. The Engineering Product Assurance Dept (EPAD) provide a product engineering assurance service to assure the organisation that appropriate evidence and arguments exist to demonstrate that the NRP product is conforming and meets its intended safety claims. You will also provide formal support through a Service Level Agreement to the Whole Boat Technical Authority (WBTA) in the discharging of duties which are considered to be a delivery responsibility of the WBTA rather than assurance activities that should be conducted under the remit of an independent assurance department.
* To confirm beyond reasonable doubt by review, surveillance and assessment, that those assumptions underpinning the safety case, analysis methodologies and interpretation of results have been validated.
* To produce evidence in support of qualification, legislative requirements and safety justifications and provide specialist support for associated activities.
* Provision of advice to the company on the nuclear safety impact of NRP design change and any issues arising during build and commissioning activities that potentially challenge the original design intent justified by the NRP Safety Case. [This includes support to Commercial teams as contracts impacting nuclear safety requirements of the plant are placed on the business].
* Draw together evidence from across the build environment to construct a robust demonstration that the extant processes and organisation support the requirements of Design Intent in the NRP Safety Case.
* Support resolution of independent nuclear safety assessor concerns raised against issued documentation.
* Support Nuclear Assurance activities
* Conduct Fit for Purpose Reviews of NRP Safety Case documentation
* Author safety case maturity statements to provide assurance to the company and the MOD of the adequacy of the ‘as built’ plant against design, build and commissioning requirements presented in the NRP Safety Case to support of entry into nuclear build phases.
* Carry out Nuclear Safety assessment of Naval Reactor Plant design changes to determine impact to Design Intent, and subsequently provide advice and support to Engineering to ensure conforming and compliant product is delivered.
* To liaise with both internal and external customers as required ensuring that their requirements are adequately supported and that their needs are fully considered and incorporated where appropriate and agreed.
* Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in a relevant subject such as Engineering or Physical science
* Extensive engineering experience in design and build of engineering systems, including a thorough understanding of the role that safety and quality play in achieving a conforming product
* Understanding of the design, build, commissioning and operation of Reactor Plant systems
* Familiarity with Naval Reactor Plant an advantage
* The ability to analyse complex problems and identify the most safety critical issues
* A strong understanding of the ALARP principle
* Capable of communicating via written and oral briefings and technical reports
* Safety Case experience in a high hazard industry, e.g. Nuclear, Chemical, Oil & Gas etc.
* Understanding of Nuclear Regulation
* Experience of conducting root cause investigations
* Ability to lead Engineering investigations
* Strong general engineering background and/or Ex NRP Operator
As a Principal Engineer - Product Assurance (Nuclear), you will be responsible for the assurance of reactor safety for the Naval Reactor Plant (NRP) which presents special challenges to the organisati