60% onsite minimum
An opportunity has arisen for an engineer to exploit their safety engineering skills to influence the safety aspects of technically complex and challenging products. While exploring the boundaries of best practice, this will involve optimising the effort devoted to safety assurance, with the goal of balancing safety against the inherently lethal attributes required of complex weapon systems.
Conduct system and sub-system safety activities, as defined in the Safety Management Plan, during all lifecycle phases (but particularly the development phase). This will include, but is not limited to:
* Hazard identification exercises (SWIFT and HAZOP)
* Hazard management and risk analysis, including fault tree and event tree analyses
* Construction of safety arguments and ALARP statements
* Provision of support to internal and external project Safety Panels and Committees (in conjunction with safety focal points)
* Assist in the management and integration of these activities with system engineering and design programs to ensure the timely delivery of material supporting the safety case
* Liaising with other functions in order to derive safety requirements and hazards.
* The candidate will be expected to work with systems teams in order to demonstrate satisfaction of safety requirements.
* Understanding of DEF-STAN 00-056, including the ability to write Safety Management Plans that meet its requirements.
* Demonstrable knowledge of, and experience in, the application of UK and International system engineering processes, particularly in safety-related systems and safety assessment processes.
* Thorough understanding and experience of how the hazard analysis process integrates with the system engineering process to influence the design.
* Ability to deliver supporting information (Safety Case Reports, Hazard Analysis, Functional Failure Analysis, FTA, etc).
* Good verbal, written communications analytical and problem solving skills.
* Track record as an effective team player with strong interpersonal and influencing skills and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary / multi-national team.
* Detailed electronic engineering experience is highly desirable. Experience of other engineering disciplines (design, software, manufacture, etc.) is also desirable.