Bioinformatician – Research Support
The post holder provides high calibre bioinformatics research support to external researchers and industrial partners by enabling analysis, facilitating access to datasets and ensuring optimal use of the internal data within the organisation. The post holder will act as a second line of support for users of the Research Environment. They will be intimately familiar with the data and applications.
They will be joining a team that are also responsible for the stewardship of genomic data and its effective flow through products into the various research products. The role includes elements of a bioinformatician and data analyst, ensuring that our users have an excellent customer experience.
Key Accountabilities Include:
• Understanding the datasets and the research environment, and being both a superuser and advocate internally and externally.
• Understanding the needs of customers (academic, NHS and industry); working with customers to ensure that their scientific projects are successful.
• Carrying out custom analyses on demand.
• Managing data; supporting data generation, intake, and extraction through airlocks.
• Supporting users with how to use our software and data.
• Keeping track of customer relationships and being the internal authority on specific customer issues, needs, and future plans.
• Providing high calibre troubleshooting of problems for customers, appraise customers and internal options and execute solutions, co-ordinating with internal teams when necessary.
• Contributing to the development of the Research Environment through identifying unmet customer needs, suggesting solutions, and improving supporting material.
• Collaborating internally as part of squads or teams as part of the Research and Ecosystems tribe
• Know and understand the meaning behind our virtues of Empathy, Integrity, Focus, Connection, Speed, Curiosity, Impact and embody them in all aspects of your role
Essential Skills Required Include:
• Passionate disposition to service
• Extensive experience in analysis of large-scale genomic data using bioinformatics tools and pipelines.
• Demonstrable experience in using next generation sequencing data.
• Competence in R, Python or similar language appropriate for large-scale genomics analysis.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and excellent facilitation, influencing and presentation skills.
• Good customer-service orientation, disposition to help, and experience in working with customers, preferably in the scientific/pharma industry.
• Excellent team working skills and comfortable working as part of matrix teams and as part of external teams to ensure delivery.
• Experience with high-performance computing or cloud-scale data processing.
• Adaptable to an ever-evolving working environment
• Excellent attention to detail
There are some great benefits on offer with this role including the opportunity to work with one of the most ground-breaking genomics organisations in the country. There is a substantial pension scheme, competitive salary and generous holiday allowance.
Please do not hesitate to contact Harvey Uppal at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (+44) 121 616 3407 to discuss this opportunity further.
Keywords: Bioinformatics, Research, Support, Pipelines, Cancer, Analysis, Customers, NGS, Data, Troubleshooting, Python, AWS, Cloud, Nextflow, Genomics, Software, Pharma, NHS, London.